Twitter is changing the rules
Normally we are announcing a new theme release on our blog, today is something a bit different.
Many of you may already know Twitter are depreciating their old way of delivering tweets. This means that the jQuery based solution we were using on all of our older themes will not work as of tomorrow, 11th June.
We are in the process of releasing Twitter oAuth support for all of our themes and they are now in the queue with themeforest and should be approved within the next 24 hours. You’ll find an update in your WordPress > Updates within WordPress much sooner than that, within the next 12 hours.
So why the unhappy face? Well, with the update there is a little bit of work for you to do. Follow the steps below to set up our new Twitter widget on your website.
- Go to https://dev.twitter.com/
- Sign in with your twitter account
- Hover over your avatar and Go to “My applications”
- Click the “Create a new application” button
- Fill out all of the mandatory details, paying special attention to the Web address, this needs to be the same as the website you want to display twitter on
- Read and tick the terms and conditions if you agree
- Fill out the CAPTCHA and create application
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and create your access tokens
- You should now have all 4 pieces of information you need: Consumer Key, Consumer Secret, OAuth Access Token and OAuth Access Token Secret
- Next update your version of Scruvely, Pushy, Moustachey, Daily or Lolly either via reinstalling the theme from themeforest or via WordPress > Updates
- Once updated go to Theme Options > Social Options and scroll down
- Now copy and past your Consumer Key, Consumer Secret, OAuth Access Token and OAuth Access Token Secret into the relevant boxes
- Next go to Appearance > Widgets and you’ll find the new “MeanThemes Twitter Widget” and drop it in to the any of the widget areas, please note: Only add the widget to one widget area and make sure you remove the old one.
- Fill out the Title, Username, Twitter display name, tweet count and follow link.
- And that’s it :)
If you have any problems and the above does not work for you, just head over to Support and we’ll get you back on your feet.